Ryan Mex’s recommended travel gear for his mountain expeditions
You made the decision to join MexVentures on a mountain expedition, making one of your dreams come to reality. That’s Amazing!
As Ryan Mex advises all budding mountaineers and adventurers, “Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.” Preparation and being equipped with the right gear can make or break your dream.
When it’s time to start packing your backpack, it’s easy to get carried away and overpack, but remember that it is possible to pack smart and light.
Ryan Mex has compiled an easy-to-navigate list of essentials you will need for the typical Kilimanjaro / Everest Base Camp or similar treks.
- Main backpack
- Daypack for trekking 10-20L
- Trekking Shirts – Pack 4 to 5 breathable trekking shirts, balancing both half and full sleeves.
- Trekking Trousers – Minimum 2 water and wind-resistant trekking pants.
- Trekking Shorts – Pack a couple of trekking shorts for lower reaches of the trek.
- Thermal Layer – At least one pair of a thermal layer.
- Fleece Jacket – Pack a light-weight fleece jacket for the lower region.
- Down Jacket – Carry a high-quality down jacket to keep you warm from the extreme weather in the upper reaches of the trek.
- Waterproof Shell Jacket – One waterproof jacket to stay protected in wet weather.
- Breathable Underwear – Carry at least 4 to 5 pairs of breathable and comfortable underwear.
- Hiking Boots – A pair of high-quality hiking boots will be enough for the trek.
- Sandals/Trainers – A pair of either sandals or trainers, depending upon your preference.
- Hiking Socks – Pack at least 4 to 5 pairs of comfortable hiking socks.
- Thermal Socks – Carry at least a 2 to 3 pair of warm thermal socks to keep you warm in the evening and night.
- Warm Beanie
- Sun Protection Hat
- Buff/Neck Gaiter – One buff or neck gaiter to protect your neck from the harsh wind.
- Gloves – A pair of warm gloves
- High-Quality Sleeping Bag (will be provided for Kilimanjaro)
- Trekking Poles (can be rented)
- UV Protection Sunglasses
- Water Bottle
- Water Purification Tablets
- Prescribed Medications
- Toiletries & Wet Ones
- Headlamp with Spare Batteries
- Hand Sanitizers
- Sunscreen/Lip Balm
- Trekking Towel
- Phone / Camera
- Portable Chargers
- Ear Plugs
- Tootbrush / Toothpaste.